Things to sow into punnets in August*:
- Late Onions (eg. creamgold and ever green spring onions
- Capsicums (we're planting 7 colour Heirloom)
- Leeks (some fancy French Heirloom Jaune du Poitou!)
- Tomato (this year we are trying Tommy Toe Red & Gross Lisse)
- Asparagus (check out FAT BASTARD!)
We use a seedling tray in a little green house (less than $8 from Bunnings) and put it out in the sun when it's out and keep them in the laundry when it's not.
Straight into the garden you can sow*:
- Lettuce Heirloom Mix (any time of the year!)
- Carrot Heirloom Mix (July to March in warm climate)
- Silverbeet, why not try the spectacular 5 colour mix which can be grown at any time of the year and adds a pop of colour!
- A trick some people do is to cover their soil with black plastic or newspaper to warm it up.
- You can spread well rotted compost or manure if you haven't already.
* I'm in a warm coastal area where we get 150-240 growing days per year. Your local nursery will help you with when you can plant based on your local climate conditions.