Monday 2 July 2012

Soup pack & pumpkin soup


In an attempt to make some seasonal soup I grabbed a 1kg veggie soup pack the other morning. I've never really used one before, but it's a great way to get a kilo of veggies cheap. I also had almost a kilo of pumpkin left over from my mother in law, so I booked a date with my slow cooker!

The soup pack and pumpkin soup was simply an experiment so see if I had the gist of cooking soup. I totally made it up as I went along and was pleasantly surprised that soup is hard to stuff up!

1 Onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 kg Soup pack (2 parsnips, 1 carrot, 1 swede, 2 turnips, 1 celery stick)
750g Butternut pumpkins, diced
1 tin of diced tomatoes
2 tbl spoons of tomato paste
1 cup of red lentils, rinsed
4 cups of vegetable stock
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp sage (or any combo of you fave herbs)
1 cup of frozen beans

  1. Turn on slow cooker on high, chop veggies.
  2. Brown onion and garlic in a small saucepan.
  3. Throw (or gently pour!) all other ingredients, except beans, into slow cooker. When it starts bubbling, turn it down to low. Cook for 6ish hours.
  4. 1 hour before serving, put in the frozen beans.
  5. Serve with a dob of sour cream and chives if you like.
Mmm, veggies!


My red lentils, proudly on display with some of my other favourite things.
The beans are in!

Do you have any favourite soup pack meal ideas?




No comments:

Post a Comment